Pasta Primitiva (Mediterranean Style Chicken Noodle Soup)
Primitiva was my Grandma-in-law. “Mommy P’s” life was as rich and earthy as the flavors of rosemary, onion and garlic in this soup. I made this for her when she would eat very little else.
- 2 Tbspns olive oil
- 0.5 pound boneless chicken, chopped (white or dark as you prefer)
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 4 lemons
- 5 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 0.5 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tbspn dried parsley (or 0.5 bunch fresh parsley) , chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 0.5 pound thin spaghetti, broken into small pieces
- 10 cups chicken broth (water with bullion is fine)
Heat the oil in a pot. Add the chicken & cook until not pink. Add the onion & cook until soft. Squeeze in the juice from the lemons. Add the garlic, rosemary, cilantro, tomatoes, parsley, salt & pepper. Simmer 5 minutes. Add the broth. Bring to boil. Add the spaghetti. Cook 10 minutes & serve hot!
If its bland, your broth is too weak or you didn’t add enough salt & pepper. Serves four in big bowls with leftovers.